Admission with a Foreign Law Degree or a Canadian Civil Law Degree
An individual who has a law degree from another country in the British Commonwealth or from the U.S.A., or who has a Canadian civil law degree, may apply for admission if he or she:
- is 18 years old and a permanent resident or citizen of Canada;
- produces a Certificate from the National Committee on Accreditation of the Federation of Law Societies of Canada (see below), confirming that the applicant possesses a degree equivalent to a Canadian common law degree, or does not possess an equivalent degree but has successfully completed the requirements stipulated by that committee to attain equivalency;
- files a Certificate of Standing from each Law Society of which the candidate is a member indicating that the candidate:
- i. is a member in good standing ;
- ii. has no complaint pending ;
- iii. has not been the subject of any previous disciplinary action, or if so, certifying as to the particulars thereof; etc.;
- is fit to engage in the practice of law ;
- completes a required term of articles;
- completes the bar admission course;
- pays the required fees.
Upon compliance with the above, Council determines whether all of the requirements have been met and gives approval for the candidate’s admission. For more information about admission with a foreign degree, please contact the Law Society.
NATIONAL COMMITTEE ON ACCREDITATION
The National Committee on Accreditation (NCA) is a standing Committee of the Federation of Law Societies of Canada. It is made up of representatives from the Committee of Canadian Law Deans, members of the practising bar, and members involved with the administration of provincial law societies. The Committee evaluates the legal training and professional experience of persons with foreign or non-common law legal credentials and who seek admission to a Bar in Canada.
Applicants can find out extensive information about this process on the Federation's web site at www.flsc.ca by clicking on “Accreditation (NCA)” and/or call the number below.
National Committee on Accreditation
c/o Federation of Law Societies of Canada
World Exchange Plaza
45 O’Connor, Suite 1810
Canada K1P 1A4
Telephone: (613) 236-1700; Fax: (613) 236-7233; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org